Tuesday, December 20, 2016

By Searching

I recently finished reading By Searching by Isobel Kuhn.
Here are some quotes that stood out to me.

"The next day was Sunday. I had resolved to bend to decorum enough to go to church in the morning, then I meant to claim the rest of the day to do what I liked. I had a friend named Mamie in the city, and had an appointment to spend the afternoon with her. Idly I wondered that Mrs. Whipple had not as yet made any effort to get me alone and talk religiously. Little did I dream the truth, which she told me only years later. That first night, after we had all gone to bed, she could not sleep for the burden of me. At last she got up and fell to her knees, asking God the cause. For more than an hour she battled in prayer that whatever was the reason He had sent me to them, it might be fulfilled before I left."
(page 32, Kindle Edition)

"Dear Mrs. Whipple never tried to pry: the privacy of the human soul was respected by her, and that was another reason we all loved and trusted her so."
(page 37, Kindle Edition)

"Life does contain moments of adventure, but these times are interspersed with long periods of plain, unvarnished hard work. The real things of life are attained at these monotonous level periods, so to speak, more than they are at the high peaks of excitement."
(page 47, Kindle Edition)

"'Learn to move man, through God, by prayer alone' was one of the many that I eagerly noted, and it has blessed me all my life."
(page 60, Kindle Edition)

"And now, as reader and author part, I can find no better words to use than these same, 'Let us go on.' Go on searching and exploring the greatness and the dearness of our God. He has no favorites. He has said, 'Ye shall find me when ye shall search for me with all your heart' (Jer. 29:13)."
(page 160, Kindle Edition)


You have just finished reading By Searching.
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...