Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Favorite Reads from 2015

This year year I read 123 books. That's the largest amount of books I have read since I started keeping track of what I was reading. I still can't quite believe I read this much this year.

I think there are two factors that contributed to this increased amount of reading for me:
- my county's library system has a nice audiobook setup that allows me to listen to audiobooks on my computer and mobile devices, and I took advantage of that this year.
- I made reading nonfiction books a part of my to-do lists each day. Some days it was just as simple as reading five pages a day. But those five pages add up over time.

Some of the books I read were rereads. Some were books that were new to me. Here are my favorites from this year.

Transforming Grace by Jerry Bridges
This book has made a major impact on me and my understanding of God's grace. Here are two quotes to highlight some of what stood out to me. I enjoyed this book so much and learned so much from it, that I'll be rereading it in 2016.

How Children Succeed by Paul Tough
This book gave me a lot of food for thought in how I approach my teaching and working with kids. A must-read for teachers and parents alike. This also is going on my list of books to reread in 2016.

West with the Night by Beryl Markham
A memoir of life in eastern Africa before World War 1. An era in which aviation was still brand new. I loved Beryl's simple and yet fascinating story.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Markus' story is serious and yet heartwarming. Heartrending, but also hope-instilling. As hard as the story was at times, I loved this book. The movie is done gorgeously, but give the book a read, too. It's well worth it.

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
This young adult book is cute, funny, and compelling. A fun read that's not shallow.

Any books you read in 2015 that you recommend? I'd love to hear your recommendations.

-----
You have just finished reading Favorite Reads from 2015.
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...